Friday, April 1, 2011

I'm not supposed to be a grown up

I am turning 20 years old. In 7 days. It's a very exciting thing to turn 20. You aren't a teenager anymore, but you are still young enough to make stupid decisions and break rules. (I have this mentality that all rules are meant to be broken, although that is very dumb and no one should actually think this way. Like seriously, if you live your life this way, you will probably die. And I am not saying this to scare you; it will actually, most definitely happen.) However, I am not excited for this day to come. I want to be a teenager forever; I kind of like having an excuse to be angsty.

And the angst thing isn't the real reason. That's just what I tell people to sound clever and funny.

I am immature. Sure I can handle being 1,000 miles away from my family 9 months out of the year. I can work full time over the summer when all my friends are going to the beach, because that is what I think I need to do (Okay this isn't that big of a deal, but I think it is. I mean I live is a place that virtually gets no sun, ever, and then when I go home over the summer to sunny Southern California, I want to go to the beach and see my friends and all that summer stuff that people do. But I choose to work full time at a yogurt and smoothie shop instead. At least I can make some pretty wicked smoothies. And I make money. That's really nice too). However, I am still immature.

And here is evidence:

I watch Nickelodeon. And Disney Channel. But mostly Nickelodeon. I wish I could say that I just watch it to try to relive my childhood every now and again, but no. I watch it every day. Because I actually like it. I love Spongebob Squarepants. And sure you could say, "But Meagan, you used to watch that when you were little. It's okay if you do. You are just reliving your childhood." But I already told you that I actually enjoy watch all of Nickelodeon, and sure I do watch shows on there that I used to watch as a child, like Spongebob and the Fairly Odd Parents, but I watch the new shows too. I often find myself watching iCarly, the show about a girl and her friends that have their own popular web-series. Some times I tell myself that I watch it because I think that Spencer, Carly's big brother, is really cute and funny (It's okay, he's not a teenager. He's like 31 in real life or something like that), kind of like a younger Jim Carrey. (I happen have a thing for tall, skinny, gangly men that happen to be hilarious. And Jim Carrey is a great example of that). But in reality, I actually like this show. It's funny, and cute, and I wish that my high school and middle school experiences would have been just like Carly's (I hated middle school and high school. Actually, middle school wasn't that bad. High school was the worst expereince of my life though).

I could explain the other shows on that channel, like Big Time Rush, and VICTORiOUS, but that is just too embarrassing to explain. At least iCarly is pretty popular among elementary school age children.

However, I have recently found myself watching and enjoying Sex and the City. I mean, that's a pretty grown up show right? You have 4, 30 year old women living in Manhattan that are all living their grown-up lives. And I want their lives! They are so grown-up and sophisticated. And they all dress well, something I have to learn how to do still (I wear yoga pants and sweat shirts waaaay too often, and I don't even do yoga).

I actually find myself relating to Carrie quite a bit though. Especially her relationships, but that's another blog post for another time.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that really means you're immature. I find it refreshing. Really what you are is honest with yourself, unlike others you're not afraid to like things that society might judge you for.

    Most adults don't watch kids shows simply because they are kids shows. However, adults have shows that fit the same genres and explore the same topics as kids shows. I bet that a lot of people would enjoy kids shows if they actually gave them a chance.

    I believe that most "adults" are not much different from children, we just have different conditioned inhibitions that society has taught us. I see the same essential human nature in adults and children, adults just hide it behind social niceties.

    A good example of this is discrimination and cruelty. Anybody that has been through middle school and high school knows that kids can be very cruel and discriminating. As adults, we hide this behind manners usually, but it still exists. We see this reflected in things that we find commonplace like workplace discrimination. However, since adults have more power to do things, we can see this basic human tendency reflected in even more horrible things like hate crimes and genocide.

    In short, you're not any less "mature" for watching kids shows, just more honest to your nature. Plus maturity is overrated anyway. Maturity means more responsibilities and less freedom, something that all adults tend to hate. Just look at all the people who hate their jobs, have midlife crises, etc.

    ReplyDelete